Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reflections on NaBeCreMo

So, sadly it is December 1st.  This means that our National Be Creative Month is now over.  Here is what I learned through the experience:
  1. Even if I don't meet my goals (which I didn't), I still get more done when I set aside time for my academic creative pursuits, rather than letting weeks (or months) go by without engaging in my scholarly work.  I did get a lot closer to my goal (producing a publication-ready essay) than I was when November began.
  2. I work best with uninterrupted blocks of time solely devoted for the activity at hand.  This means: no email, no browsers open, office door stays closed.
  3. I think it is better for me to set monthly goals rather than overarching, annual goals that I never seem to meet.  I think I will get more tangible work done this way.
  4. I like doing research.  
Even though the November challenge is over, I am going to stick with my research schedule (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 8-9 am and Thursday evenings 6:30-9:30 pm).  I like this special time I have carved out for my work.

Now, I am setting aside (temporarily) the project I was working on in November.  Here's what's on tap for my December goals:
  1. Revise and prepare a paper for presentation at the Women and the 19th-Century Lied Conference, which I will be attending in Maynooth, Ireland later this month.
  2. Begin seeking copyright permissions and revising a paper I wrote earlier this year for possible publication in an online journal.  (The deadline for this is February 1.)
I intend to continue blogging regularly about my creative academic pursuits.  Thanks again to my loved ones for supporting me.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! You must be excited to be going to Ireland! Kate could continue with her photography while there! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not feel that you achieved the goal you set out for yourself, but you certainly achieved a new routine that has proven to you is doable! This alone will keep your creative academic pursuits alive and on track. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete