Thursday, January 5, 2012

reorganizing, reinvigorating, and reengaging

Well it has been an embarrassingly long time since my last post.  After a busy month of December at work, the holidays, and my latest battle with a nasty chest cold, I am ready to recommit to my creative academic pursuits.

Part of what also set me back--emotionally--was a publication rejection that I really wasn't expecting.  (Usually I set myself up for rejection since publishing in top-tier journals is so highly competitive and difficult, but the particular essay I'd submitted seemed perfect for the journal I submitted it to, so well, when I got the rejection, it hurt.)  At any rate, I am picking up the pieces and finally actually reading the outside reviewers' comments and have made a plan for revising the essay and resubmitting to a different peer-reviewed, however less competitive, journal.  This will be my goal for the month of February.

But I get ahead of myself.  It is yet the beginning of January.  So the goals for this month will be: 
  • to take a different essay (the one that the project I presented last month in Ireland was part of) and prepare it for submission to a scholarly journal.  I think I have picked an acceptable top-tier publication.  I have presented on the topic twice at conferences, and I have been working off-and-on on the essay for the past couple years.  I think it is ready to be put "out there."
  • to write a proposal for a spring conference on a different project (one that I hope to revisit in the month of March).  I think the due date for this one is my birthday--right in the middle of the month.
Since classes haven't started yet and since I have been sick, my schedule has been erratic.  At some point soon, I hope to establish a new strict schedule for working toward my goals.

Thanks for reading and supporting my endeavors.  I hope 2012 will be a good year for my scholarly life.

1 comment:

  1. One way to look at the rejection is... if you didn't send it in, you couldn't have been rejected, so good for you for sending it in! It also might mean that your essay is better intended for a different journal, where it may be more appreciated. I'm glad to see you're getting back to your creative academic pursuits!

    ReplyDelete