Monday, November 28, 2011

Checking in: Third-to-last day of NaBeCreMo

It has been one week since my last session.  I got to my office a little earlier than normal this morning just to discover that I had left my remaining sources at home.  So I decided it was a sign that I should actually start writing my essay, which didn't actually happen but I am closer. . . .  My writing process consists of this:
  1. Freewrite to generate ideas and hopefully a thesis
  2. Study my subject (usually a piece of music or set of pieces) and continue to take notes and flesh out my analysis
  3. Gather and take notes on cards from relevant sources
  4. Create an outline
  5. Re-read and order my cards according to the outline
  6. Write the essay
With this process, by the time I get to step 6, the paper nearly writes itself because I have already organized my thoughts (through the outline) and every thought/idea/supporting point has been written on a card.  So I just flip through my cards in order and transfer their content to my document.  So, I am in the middle of step 5 right now.  I have many cards, and I feel like the paper is really taking shape.  I look forward to typing the prose very soon.

Thanks to all of you who follow me for your words of encouragement and support.


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you left your sources at home, but am happy to hear you started writing! I hope you enjoyed the time you were able to spend on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love a work in progress that comes together? I think you have that process mastered! Even if I don't understand all of the subject matter, will you share your finished piece with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Glad you're getting closer to finishing. YAY! I think we should do another NaNo type project say in 6 months!

    ReplyDelete