Monday, February 13, 2012

mid-February update

I don't have too much report for the past week or two.  I am still plugging away--little by little, research hour by research hour--on my current essay's revisions.  I have divided my remaining tasks into two big categories: (1) read a bunch of sources and add in some additional support for what I have already written, and (2) re-listen to eight albums of music that is the subject of the essay.  (The second task is the one that is more fun, so I am saving that one to do until the first is finished.)

So this morning I read and took notes on 50 pages of a relevant book.  I wish I could get this stuff done faster, but working three hours a week is better than no hours a week I suppose. . . .

At some point I want to reassess my long-term goals.  I haven't been composing any music for awhile.  I have just re-started The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.  I worked through this book in the summer of 2003--nearly nine years ago.  It was a gift I had received from a student I had in Chicago a few years back, and his intent was to help me reconnect with composition after a period of being blocked.  I am hopeful that working through Cameron's book again will help me to get back in touch with my CREATIVE self, infusing all that I do--teaching, research, and composition--with greater creativity.

  

2 comments:

  1. Okay, we should do The Artist's Way together, or at least check in on a regular basis because I'm slacking in doing it again. And yes, three hours a week is better than none. But you do need to have some fun going on there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. I have decided to give myself two weeks (instead of just one week) for every chapter to take the pressure off. It will be two weeks as of this weekend. Let's definitely check in with each other on our progress.

      Fun. What a novel concept. I definitely need more balance in my life.

      Delete