Monday, May 21, 2012

Sometimes the hardest thing to face is . . .

A blank screen:

I was attempting to summarize something new that I had read and work it into my essay.  Sometimes I will open a brand new document for this purpose because I don't know how it will all fit into the big picture.  Once I have typed the summary and connected it to my ideas, I will then cut and paste parts of what I have written into my main document.

Today's log:

10:00–10:29 am took notes on the new source (which I read over the weekend)
10:30–10:45 am wrote the summary in the separate document
10:45–11:05 am worked it into my main document and did a few other minor revisions

= 35 minutes of actual writing/revising

I also made a minor breakthrough in thinking about one of the main points of my essay--something that I think will strengthen my paper when I submit it the next time around. . . .


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love the start of the post! I find your routine of writing thoughts in a new document a good tool that can be used in any writing situation. How encouraging to have a break through. It just underscores the necessity to keep the creative juices active. It is productive!

    ReplyDelete