Friday, May 11, 2012

Today's log and a confession

First, a confession: I skipped yesterday's writing session.  (That totals two skips in a single week--not great!)


Second, my log for today:
11:05 am opened the document
12:11 pm finished for today; typed another three pages


It feels slow going, though I know I am making progress.  My biggest issue is that with every sentence I type, I know I am creating a crappy draft and I want it to be better.  Normally my first drafts aren't quite this bad. BUT all that matters in this stage is getting the words down.  I should allow myself to enjoy this stage because it is the most open.  I can write ANYTHING I want.  No one is going to read it (not like this anyhow).


So I may give myself the weekend off.  It is commencement weekend at Macalester, and I have engagements related to pomp & circumstance today and tomorrow especially.


Next week we are having a "Spring Professional Activities Workshop" at Macalester, and Tara Gray is the featured speaker on Monday.  I am very much looking forward to her workshops.  Her book, Publish & Flourish, is the reason I am writing (almost) every day for at least 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, the workshop sounds fantastic. What a great opportunity. Secondly, be sure you are having fun and enjoying yourself even in the less-than-what-you-are-thrilled-with progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free write should be FUN. Write the crappy draft.

    ReplyDelete